Monday, February 22, 2010

Problem Machine in Full Force

The snow machine is in full force today. I love winter, I love the cleanness of fresh fallen snow and how the world feels quiet. Today however, I am ready to look for signs of spring than to deal with a snowy driveway, finding a lost glove or shoveling one more path for the dogs. I was telling this to a friend today and she said at this time of the year it is always hard for her to believe that spring will ever arrive. I think I often feel that way in the hard days of ministry.

Six months ago, right before I started, one of our church locations moved to a beautiful theater venue; however the set-up for children’s ministry is less than ideal. Since opening, a significant number of families have stopped attending this venue and there has been a drop in volunteers. Six weeks ago I joined the team to help turn this ship, with my primary job being to meet with families and volunteers to hear the challenges from their perspective. Much like the snow machine, once the conversations were turned on the problems kept flying in full force.

Problems are a reality of ministry. How we respond to them determines if the ship turns, stands still or sinks all together. A few keys that I have learned over the years to help with problem solving are.

1. Ask Almost always when I am pretending to be Sherlock Holmes and uncover the real problems. I start with asking a form of the question, “From your perspective what is working and what is not?” I am yet to find a person who loves a ministry, but is frustrated by some aspect to share honestly and openly their thoughts. And it may surprise you that almost always these are good conversations with people telling most details very gently not wanting to “hurt” my feelings.

2. Listen Well Once you have asked the questions, listen well by taking notes, using good eye contact, and watch your body language, making sure it does not become defensive. This first conversation is most likely not the time to fix the problem, but a time to use affirming language. “I can understand why that is frustrating, or you are not crazy it should not happen that way.” I always end this time with thanking them for their time, for being honest, to look into the problem and will follow up with them.

3. Respond Once you are aware of the problem a response is necessary. This is what determines if the ship turns, stands still or sinks. What often seems like a mountain of a problem should be attacked one stone at a time. Dealing with the problem as strategically as possible often works the best. I start with the small stone or things that can be easily fixed, then move to building the right team of people to help solve the next level of problems, and last I look at what is systematically not working and start the conversations with my volunteers, senior pastor or elders.

Hoping the problem machine is not in full force by you today, but if it is, believing with you that spring is just around the corner.

No comments: